Remember: Being Prepared is the crucial first step
We all know that a disaster can strike at any time and any where in the world. A 7.1 magnitude earthquake rocked Southern California in July 2019. This year, 2020, has already brought upon many disasters already, Hurricane Laura, the Beirut explosion, the ongoing wildfires in Northern California, monsoon flooding, not to mention the global Coronavirus pandemic.
September is National Preparedness Month which began in 2004 and sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This is the month that Americans are encouraged to make preparation in the even of an emergency, whether for your home, business, schools or your community. Check out the official site for detailed information, we have broken it down to easy steps to help you prepare for an emergency/disaster.
Be Ready – Step 1: Make a Plan
The most important part of preparing if a disaster strikes is to have a plan. Having a plan involved answering the following type of questions.
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuation route?
- How will my Family communicate?
- Do I have my emergency preparedness kit ready?
Step 2: Build A Kit and Supplies
To assemble your kit store items in airtight plastic bags and put your entire disaster supplies kit in one or two easy-to-carry containers such as plastic bins or a duffel bag.
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest updates directly to your inBox.
Find books on Climate Change, Sustainable Energy, Economics and many other topics at our sister site: Cherrybooks on Bookshop.org
Enjoy Lynxotic at Apple News on your iPhone, iPad or Mac
Lynxotic may receive a small commission based on any purchases made by following links from this page.
Climate Solutions4 weeks ago
This Climate Solution is a Sleeping Giant
Books4 weeks ago
Stress is Part of Life: Burnout doesn’t have to be
AI2 months ago
Adobe FireFly is live and…
Books2 months ago
Trump Indicted by Manhattan Grand Jury
AI1 month ago
Does using ChatGPT Generate Dopamine?
LA Local1 month ago
Superbloom is Back! 2023 Rain has Turned SoCal into a Blooming Explosion
Breaking News2 months ago
Trump is Accused of 34 Felonies