Remember: Being Prepared is the crucial first step
We all know that a disaster can strike at any time and any where in the world. A 7.1 magnitude earthquake rocked Southern California in July 2019. This year, 2020, has already brought upon many disasters already, Hurricane Laura, the Beirut explosion, the ongoing wildfires in Northern California, monsoon flooding, not to mention the global Coronavirus pandemic.
September is National Preparedness Month which began in 2004 and sponsored by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This is the month that Americans are encouraged to make preparation in the even of an emergency, whether for your home, business, schools or your community. Check out the official site for detailed information, we have broken it down to easy steps to help you prepare for an emergency/disaster.
Be Ready – Step 1: Make a Plan
The most important part of preparing if a disaster strikes is to have a plan. Having a plan involved answering the following type of questions.
- What is my shelter plan?
- What is my evacuation route?
- How will my Family communicate?
- Do I have my emergency preparedness kit ready?
Step 2: Build A Kit and Supplies
To assemble your kit store items in airtight plastic bags and put your entire disaster supplies kit in one or two easy-to-carry containers such as plastic bins or a duffel bag.
A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Lynxotic may receive a small commission based on any purchases made by following links from this page.
Apple2 months ago
How to Create Custom Icons in macOS 12 Monterey
Climate Crisis1 month ago
With the Failure of Politics, People Are Waking Up to the Realization That They Have a World to Win
Apple1 month ago
Apple 2022 is looming larger than ever after a hyperactive 2021
Business1 month ago
These Real Estate and Oil Tycoons Avoided Paying Taxes for Years
News2 months ago
How Steve Bannon Has Exploited Google Ads to Monetize Extremism
Books1 month ago
How to Unlock your iPhone (or Mac) Using an Apple Watch
News1 month ago
Know This, Trump’s Attempted Coup on Jan. 6 Was Just Practice
Entertainment1 month ago
Matrix 4 Resurrections 2nd Official Trailer is out: Watch Now
Climate Crisis1 month ago
Top US Banks and Investors Responsible for Nearly as Much Emissions as Russia, Report Finds
Climate Crisis11 hours ago
It Is ‘Strange,’ Says Greta Thunberg, That Biden Is Seen as a Climate Leader
Crypto11 hours ago
From metaverse to DAOs, a guide to 2021’s tech buzzwords
Business11 hours ago
A Return to Robo-Signing: JPMorgan Chase Has Unleashed a Lawsuit Blitz on Credit Card Customers